Nothing beats the warmth of the sun on our skin on a hot summer day! It is beneficial to absorb vitamin D from the sun. But what about the sun’s impact on our hair? That’s not so good. UVA and UVB rays from the sun can damage and weaken our hair cuticles, making our hair more prone to dryness, brittleness, and breaking.
But don’t worry—you don’t have to avoid the sun this summer!
We go through how the sun affects our hair, as well as the indicators of sun-damaged hair to look out for this summer, so you can adjust your summer hair-care routine accordingly. Continue reading to find out more about sun-damaged hair treatments and how to avoid UV hair damage!
How Does the Sun Damage Our Hair?
UV radiation from the sun degrades the lipids on the outside layer of the hair strand, which weakens the cuticle. UV rays also harm the protein that builds up our hair, known as keratin. As the hair strand deteriorates, it becomes more prone to dryness, brittleness, and breakage. Our hair may appear thinner, flatter, and frizzier as a result.
What Does Sun-Damaged Hair Look Like?
- Its Vibrant Colour Is Lost – Colour fade is an indication of sun-damaged hair. It happens when the sun’s UV rays damage the proteins in our hair. When your hair has been exposed to severe UV rays, you may notice some new highlights in addition to colour decline. The dismal reality? These sun-kissed highlights that we all love in our hair are also indicators of the sun’s harmful impact on our hair.
How to Restore Color to Sun-Damaged Hair: The bleaching effect of the sun’s rays on our hair cannot be reversed, but it can be avoided in the future! To avoid colour fade, avoid overwashing your hair in the heat and shampoo with lukewarm water. Most importantly, the next time you plan a day in the sun, consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat for optimum protection for your hair and scalp!
Using the Incredible Man Onion Hair Conditioner correctly will always make your hair full of healthy, shiny and smooth.
- It’s Dull and Lackluster – When we spend too much time in the sun without protecting our hair and scalp, we end up with locks that lack luster and vibrancy because the keratin proteins that make up our hair are damaged.
How to Treat Dull Hair from the Sun: Use a shampoo and conditioner that are both hydrating and shine-restoring! Using all-natural ingredients like chia and yuzu, our fragrance-free Full Transparency Pure Revitalizing Shampoo gently cleanses, minimizes buildup, and revitalizes dull tresses. Use Full Transparency Shine Revitalizing Conditioner to provide shine and hydration to dull, lifeless hair without aggravating sensitive scalps!
- It’s Brittle and Susceptible to Breakage – When the keratin in our hair degrades, our hair becomes weaker and more prone to brittleness and breakage. Furthermore, excessive breaking causes our adult hair to appear thin and lifeless.
How to cure sun-damaged hair brittleness and breakage: Look for volumizing products that add body and strength without drying out the hair. Our Wake Up Call Volumizing Duo contains caffeine, biotin, and sage to nourish stressed hair follicles and increase hydration and volume. This combo also minimizes breakage by up to 98%.* For further breakage prevention, spray on our No Remorse Heat Protection & Taming Spray, especially before using hot styling tools, to benefit from its restorative and strand-strengthening vitamin E.
Natural Hair Growth Serums play a significant role in Haircare. Using shampoo, conditioner & hair mask is not enough. You must have a natural hair serum for your hair care routine to solve all of your hair concerns. Have a look at the benefits of hair serum for healthy hair.
- It Has More Split Ends – You’re not seeing things if you notice more split ends in the summer! The sun dries out our hair, and the ends of our hair are usually the driest. When our endings are severely injured, they fray and split, resulting in split ends.
Treatment for split ends in sun-damaged hair: A trip to the hairdresser for a trim is required to treat split ends. But don’t panic if you’re attempting to grow your hair out! You can request a tiny trim, in which the stylist simply eliminates the split ends. You can also request that they cut your strands with hot thermal scissors, which seal the ends of your hair and prevent future split ends.
- It’s Frizzy and Rough to the Touch – Rough, frizzy hair is a solid symptom of hair cuticle damage and dryness! Cuticles that are in good condition are smooth and glossy. When our cuticles are injured, however, they lift somewhat, resulting in frizz and a harsh texture.
How to Treat Sun-Damaged Hair Frizziness: Smooth your cuticles! To restore the damage, use an ultra-hydrating and repairing hair mask, such as our Hair Redemption Restorative Butter Masque. The plant-based butter blend hydrates dry, damaged hair and seals the cuticles to help retain moisture into the strands. It also revitalizes dull hair by restoring elasticity and silkiness!
- It’s Crunchy and Dry – Dry, crunchy hair is more common in the summer when you combine UV exposure with salt water or pool water. Because both saltwater and chlorine dry out our hair, it’s no surprise that we wind up with dry, crunchy hair after a day of swimming!
How to Treat Sun-Damaged Hair Dryness: It is critical to repair and hydrate your locks! Begin by using a sulfate-free healing shampoo and conditioner, such as our Second Chance Repairing Duo. Second Chance repairs, smooths and nourishes stressed tresses while restoring moisture with plant-based ingredients including argan oil, passion flower extract, and rice bran oil!
- It Absorbs Water and Products Faster – Does your hair dry quickly when you wash it? Have you ever noticed how quickly leave-in hair products absorb? If so, you most likely have high porosity hair, which makes it more susceptible to UV hair damage.
How to cure sun-damaged hair with high porosity: Moisture is the name of the game! Try including a butter hair mask like Hair Redemption into your hair-care routine if you have straight or wavy hair. Using this twice a week allows your porous hair to absorb cuticle-nourishing nourishment while smoothing and sealing cuticles to lock in moisture.
If you have curls, you can use Hair Redemption, but we also recommend a super-moisturizing shampoo and conditioner developed specifically for curly hair, such as our Bounce Back Super Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair. When used together, our curly hair products deliver up to 24 hours of frizz control and curl definition, as well as the extra hydration your ageing curls demand!
“Sun damage can manifest as discolouration, dry and brittle strands, broken or split ends, thinning, and frizziness. “Damaged hair appears and feels dry, is unruly, and will not hold a curl or style.” Damaged hair also dries quickly.”
Use hydrating shampoo and conditioner.
Sun-damaged hair is in severe need of water. Padilla recommends a shampoo and conditioner enriched with nourishing oils like coconut, jojoba, and argan to help replenish moisture. Look for products that do not contain sulfates or parabens.
When your hair is significantly damaged, it is usually dry with less sheen, the colour is duller, and the hair ends are thinner. If the situation worsens, it will have a rougher texture and a dull appearance, an uneven colour balance, and more severe split ends.